A Series of Divinely Ordained Random Occurances

"Our wisdom, in so far as it ought to be deemed true and solid Wisdom, consists almost entirely of two parts: the knowledge of God and of ourselves." (John Calvin)

Thursday, January 24, 2008

things i love about this city

Ok. So you all know that Dallas isn't necessarily my ideal place to live. I'm more of the hick country girl at heart than the fast-paced city slicker. Which is part of why hubs and I fit together so well. But should God ever call us away from this amalgamation of concrete and steel, there are many, many things I will miss about this place I have called home for the last 8 years. (I even have bullet points!)
  • Skyline. I love the Dallas skyline, how from any angle of the city you are immediately dwarfed by the granduer of the tall buildings in all shapes and forms as you drive into downtown. (The uniqueness of places like Reunion Tower and the Crescent Building...)
  • City Lights. Very similar to the Dallas skyline are the lights of the city. Darkness never really falls in Dallas, and for someone whose greatest all time fear is darkness, this sets very well with me. Although I do miss the stars.
  • Dallas Mavericks. Overpriced seats in the upper deck. Lights go dim, and the team rushes out onto the court as their very familiar theme music plays in the background. Screams from the fans for defense, rebounds, bad calls, amazing 3 point shots from the center of the court. Hubs and I formed half of our relationship in those nosebleed seats in the upper deck of the AAC... we love this team. We bring the fanatic back into the fan.
  • Dallas Cowboys. It's football, people. Nothing more really needs to be said. I do love the way this town shuts down every Sunday afternoon when the 'Boys play. Where else would you be but in your favorite chair or at Pluckers (Buffalo chicken strips!) with a cold drink in your hand and a few of your craziest friends around you, watching the game?
  • Dallas Stars. Ok. So it's not all about the sports. But seriously, it's Texas. We love all of our sports teams around here!
  • Central Expressway. I love interstate 75. It just... flows. The traffic, the crazy decisions in the middle of the week to shut down various lanes for no significant reason, the oddly designed entrance and exit ramps that nobody knows how they keep traffic flowing but somehow, they just do. It's the best artery in Dallas. (Did I mention the High 5?)
  • Sushi. No matter what time of night, there is always somewhere you can go to settle your sushi craving. We eat a lot of sushi. It's available and fresh. Something tells me most places, even cities, don't have the sushi availability that this place does.
  • The Dart Rail. It's the train that connects everything downtown to everything not downtown. And at 5pm, it's the easiest way to get downtown fast when you need to get there. It's also the best way to get to the AAC, as it drops all of the crazy Mavs and Stars fans off - right at the front door.

I could go on, but I'll save some stuff for later. It just occurs to me sometimes that I spend a lot of time referring to the Big D like a shoe that doesn't quite fit, but there are some things that get my heart pumping when I think about this metropolis.

2 Comments:

  • At 1/25/08, 12:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What is it with city folks and sushi? I mean I like California rolls and all, but every time I hear a former city folk, a current city folk talk, it is always, "and then there is sushi..." Maybe you should take me out for good sushi when I next visit. ;-)
    BTW, pretty much any town north of Houston is completely quiet on a Cowboys Sunday...that many people aren't at home all at one time since 1955!

     
  • At 1/25/08, 12:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oops, I totally messed up my grammar on the last comment! Oh, well, you get my drift!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home