A Series of Divinely Ordained Random Occurances

"Our wisdom, in so far as it ought to be deemed true and solid Wisdom, consists almost entirely of two parts: the knowledge of God and of ourselves." (John Calvin)

Monday, December 03, 2007

scene

It's around 11:45pm. I'm almost asleep, hubs' breathing has just changed to the regular, long breaths of sleep...

Rat: Gnaw, gnaw, scratch, scritch, scurry scurry, gnaw
Me: Sigh
Rat: Gnaw, gnaw, scratch, scritch, scurry scurry, gnaw
Me: Hubs!
Hubs: (sleepily) Mmm?
Me: Are you awake?
Hubs: Mmmph
Me: Do you hear that?
Hubs: Yeah. Do you?
Me: (smirking heartlessly at my husband, who I just woke up) Of course I do. I asked you.
Hubs: What do you want me to do about it?
Me: I don't know, but it's keeping me awake.
Rat: Gnaw, gnaw, scratch, scritch, scurry scurry, gnaw (continuing ad nauseam)

Hubs bangs the heck out of the wall. Rat stops. We relax.
Rat: Gnaw, gnaw, scratch, scritch, scurry scurry, gnaw

Hubs bangs the heck out of the wall. Rat stops. We relax.
Rat: Gnaw, gnaw, scratch, scritch, scurry scurry, gnaw

Hubs bangs the heck out of the wall. Rat is no longer deterred by wall banging. Hubs stands up on the bed and bangs both fists on the ceiling directly under, presumably, Rat's little scratchy scritchy feet. We hear Rat scamper away. We both relax.

Hubs: I think that did it.
Me: Mmm hmm.
Rat: Scamper, gnaw, gnaw, scratch, scritch, scurry scurry, gnaw
Hubs: Fantastic.

Hubs stands up on the bed again and bangs both fists on the ceiling to the point I decide we've probably woken all our neighbors, but I don't care. By this time in the night I don't just want the thing to stop, I want the thing DEAD. Rat stops briefly, then resumes.

Hubs: I don't think he's going to stop.
Me: I know. I think I'm starting to go to sleep. Do you think he's going to chew through the ceiling tonight while we're asleep and then fall in on our heads in the middle of the night?
Hubs: No.
Me: Ummmm... Okay. (inner dialogue: Really? When is he going to chew through? How long does it take a rat to chew through a ceiling for the sole purpose of falling through the hole and landing on my head?)

Hubs and I fall asleep. As far as I know, Rat continues. I even dreamed about it a little.

The apartment people are trapping Rat today. So hopefully there will be a return to peaceful sleep at our apartment tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home