A Series of Divinely Ordained Random Occurances

"Our wisdom, in so far as it ought to be deemed true and solid Wisdom, consists almost entirely of two parts: the knowledge of God and of ourselves." (John Calvin)

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

frosting on the cake

I woke up this morning feeling groggy and wiped out. I had food poisoning yesterday, spent all day on the couch playing Zoo Tycoon on my laptop and watching HGTV (in HD!). But this morning I was still feeling a little under the weather and having trouble recouping from everything that went on with my body yesterday.

Hubs had just gotten out of the shower, and was gently trying to pry me awake enough to tell him what I wanted him to put in a text message to my boss... was I going to take sick day round 2, or was I well enough to go in? I decided I was well enough to go in, but late. He sent the text, and I groggily moved my body toward the edge of the bed to sit up. My sore, aching, tired body illicited this comment from my lips, "I hate work." Hubs looked at me quizzically, tilting his head a little to the right with a smile playing at the corners of his mouth, brow furrowed slightly. "Why?"

I grimaced, groaned, and answered, "Because you have to go to it every day."

Hubs laughed and said something about me being cute, patted my head, and reminded me that I hadn't had to go to work yesterday.

But we both knew what I meant. It's just really hard sometimes to have to drag yourself out of bed when your body is tired and when you feel like being an absolute bum and get to work. To go in and sit behind a desk all day when you want to stay in your pajamas. In fact, I despise this responsibility so much sometimes that it results in words like I spoke from the shower another morning while hubs was brushing his teeth, "Adulthood sucks."

But truth be told, it doesn't. I like being an adult. Parts of responsible adulthood are really quite grand. Exibit A: hubs. I have a sweet husband that I wake up next to every morning and spend all of life's adventures and ups and downs with. A sweet man who brings me coffee and props up the pillows on these mornings so I can wake up slowly, who texts my boss from my phone so I don't even have to move my fingers until I'm awake, and who laughs at me when I make stupid comments about how much I hate going to work when I'm groggy and angry at the morning.

It's those things that help me see how much I really do like my adult life. It may not be cake most of the time, in fact, life is often as digestible as a brick being shoved down your throat. But even if I don't get to eat cake every day, hubs is definitely the frosting.

And I like the frosting better than the rest of the cake, anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home