A Series of Divinely Ordained Random Occurances

"Our wisdom, in so far as it ought to be deemed true and solid Wisdom, consists almost entirely of two parts: the knowledge of God and of ourselves." (John Calvin)

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

countdown

Life doesn't have a snooze button, does it? Have I missed it? 'Cause I could really use one right now. Well, at least somewhat. See, some things I want to hurry up, other things I want to slow down. I'm so excited about moving! Transitioning into that new phase of life in Pennsylvania that waits for us. I'm excited about the ministry there, about the students and seeing God work mightily through my husband as he pours his heart into them. We get the awesome privilege of investing our time into students' lives, and that is so awesome work. It seems like we have been in the preparation stage forever. From seminary to the job search, to the actual preparation part of this ministry at the University, it feels like we have always been preparing, now we're almost to the part where we get to do what we've been in preparation for!

For the short-term, though, the exhaustion of preparation is overwhelming. Hubs is exhausted from the hours of papers and classes and exams and studying for ordination and fundraising and finishing his internship here and working and the countless other things that are taking our time. I'm exhausted from the 40 hour work schedule and fundraising and watching him be tired and trying to keep the house clean. It's a lot for us to deal with right now, and we're slowly counting down to the point where we can start checking things off of our list of things to be completed and wrapped up of our life in Texas.

I have 17 days until my last day of work. 17 days. 2 weeks from Friday, I will be walking out of the offices I've called my "day home" for 4 years and leaving behind a job that has shaped me, grown me, and seen me through many huge life changing moments. I wrote on my calendar a quote for my last day, from one of my favorite Friends episodes when Rachel has to move out of the apartment she had shared with Monica (yes, I did just compare a part of my life with a 90's sitcom), "It's the end of an era!" And yes, yes it is. A good end, a much needed end, but a sad end, nonetheless. I love my boss (and his amazing family), I love the work that he does with the 20 and 30 somethings here, and I love supporting him in that. I look forward to being able to do the same thing for hubs in Pennsylvania, but I'm going to miss that working relationship here that has worked so well. I'm going to miss some of my closest friends, Steph, Caty, Marz, Sarah, Phil, David, BZ, BK, and so many others who I've formed great bonds with in my time here. Other aspects of my job I'm not going to miss so much, but I am not going to muddy the water by throwing in the bad with all the good.

I'm looking forward to checking off a major source of stress in the form of a 40 hour per week time commitment and much emotional involvement when I leave this job to spend time preparing our home for the cross-country move, though. The time and stress relief that it will provide will be immeasurable. I look forward to being able to work at my own pace, with my own schedule. I look forward to not having to come into the office every morning, but getting up and starting work right there. Perhaps one day that will become old, but after so many years of being on a time clock in an office, the change of pace and schedule will be so refreshing!

Many changes are ahead in our future, and I've just tipped the iceburg in talking about the one so close ahead. There are many more posts coming in the future about the changes that hubs and I are experiencing in our lives during this huge transition. But for the next 2 1/2 weeks, this one will preoccupy my time most of all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home