A Series of Divinely Ordained Random Occurances

"Our wisdom, in so far as it ought to be deemed true and solid Wisdom, consists almost entirely of two parts: the knowledge of God and of ourselves." (John Calvin)

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

responsibility sucks

Yeah, I know. I'm all grown up and married and stuff, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it all of the time. Take last night as a classic example. My greatest ambition for last night involved putting my jeans on so Scott could take me to Freebirds for a burrito since I didn't have the energy to cook.

This last weekend was our department retreat which I organized and helped execute, and it went well. The topic was on work ethics, and doing everything as unto the Lord - even when you hate your job. So, I don't hate my job, but sometimes I do hate responsibility. I find it excruciatingly difficult at times just to drag myself out of bed, clothe my body, and get to work. And then when I get home at night... who wants to do more? Hmmm....

So this really isn't a gripe session, but merely a voicing of what I've been pondering for the past few days since the retreat. How does one "work as if unto the Lord" when one has no desire to do anything? I'm not saying this is an all the time deal for me, but it is frequent.

I know that the Lord is worshipped even when we are at rest, but sometimes I wonder (and I will send this out into the void, I suppose), where is the line between slothfulness and truly resting as unto the Lord?

1 Comments:

  • At 11/4/07, 12:43 AM , Blogger Elisabeth said...

    Hi, Bonnie! I found your blog through Janet's blog. I am so with you on this...being so tired that trying to be a responsible adult just seems overwhelming. I never realized (before I left home and got married) how much energy it takes just to do the tasks of daily life: meal planning, grocery shopping, cooking, laundry, cleaning house, taking care of financial matters, taking care of one's health, taking care of other people and building relationships, etc., and trying to figure out how to prioritize and when to call it quits and rest. When you figure it out, let me know! (Of course, it all changes again each time you add a new person to your family!)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home