A Series of Divinely Ordained Random Occurances

"Our wisdom, in so far as it ought to be deemed true and solid Wisdom, consists almost entirely of two parts: the knowledge of God and of ourselves." (John Calvin)

Thursday, August 30, 2007

criticism in discernment's clothing

So, a recent trip to a chiropractor who I would love to describe as "cooky" - to say the least - landed me in a puddle of thought for the moment. I am a highly discerning person. Just ask me, because I've told myself that time and time again. My first reaction to any new thought, especially in (though not limited to) theological circles, is to scoff first, question later, and reluctantly admit a limited amount of fault if, indeed, I am wrong. Open-minded is about the furthest thing from a description of me that you could get.

Of course I'm not saying that this is wrong. I can happily inform you that I have never been swayed from the truth by a passing whim or occultic breeze, but at times I have been woefully slowed from my sanctification by my unwillingness to lend myself to where the Lord is seeking to grow me.

I guess the heart of the issue, the meat of my struggle, lies in finding the line between critical negativity and true, biblical discernment. Beyond any doubt, it is necessary in this fallen world to weigh heavily the ideas and values expressed in the many different worldviews that are prevalent in our culture. In a postmodern time of everyone doing what they think is right(hmmm... doesn't that sound a lot like the end of Judges?). I mean, how many times does Paul tell us to be discerning, to be wary of false teachers, etc? We must be discerning, knowing what we believe and being able to recognize deceptive and false teaching when we hear it. But is there a point at which we can become too critical?

I find myself often blasting a good, Bible-believing pastor or teacher because they said one thing that might not completely align itself with what I believe. This is bad. BUT, I make no apology for my willingness to "test the spirits" (1 John 4:1) and to flag a false prophet when I see one and am scripturally convinced of his deception. As Christians, we should be incessantly concerned with demonstrating purity of God's holy and inerrant word. Preach the Word, without additives.

Ok, so I diverge and ramble a bit. All to say, I struggle with finding the line between being discerning of the false doctrines that exist in multitudes, and being closed off in heart and mind to the true work of the Spirit in the world. My chiropractor is still a goofy wackadoo, and will remain such. He's theologically just flat wrong. But it did spark a good inner dialogue, and an opportunity for self-examination on things spiritual and internal is never bad.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home